September 16, 2011

Road Block...

So today was my first day at the Vanderbilt Dayani Center. This was my first appointment so it was really just an intake and evaluation. I met with the physical therapist and the physical therapist student working underneath her. They were both great and very knowledgeble. However, they didn't really explain what my program will be. I'm hoping that the next time I go they will walk me through what my program will look like, and what my goals for physical therapy will be.

Then I headed back to the Vanderbilt Center for Integrative Health for my first appointment with the health psychologist. She was 15 minutes late and only saw me for 20 minutes instead of an hour. Not sure if this is normal practice, or if this again was just the first appointment so she was getting a feel for why exactly I was there. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what exactly I was supposed to get out of my time with her. She gave me some breathing techniques to practice that help with releasing the tension from my body and hopefully the achiness as well. But she is a psychologist and wanted to talk about the potential stresses in my life. I think this might be helpful for people who have worries or concerns about their illnesses, or who have trouble identifying the stresses in their lives. However, I know that at some point, this flare-up will pass, and I've accepted that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the auto-immune disease world will both be a part of the rest of my life and I am fully aware of the stresses in my life. Just because I can identify these things doesn't mean that I like them, or that I have worked through all of them, but I do know what they are, and after four years of dealing with this, have a very good idea of how they impact my body and my health. I'm hoping she will turn out to be more helpful than she was today. I could have spent twenty minutes on the phone with my mom having her tell me to take deep breaths from my stomach and saved myself another two hours in Nashville.

I think more than anything today was exhausting. Spending several hours in Nashville being poked and stretched by the physical therapists and then going to the other doctor wore me out. Looking forward to a weekend of relaxation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...