December 9, 2011

Beat with a Baseball Bat

That's exactly what it feels like happened to my face. The recovery from this tilt table test is taking longer than I thought it would. I know I only had the test yesterday morning, but I was really under the impression that at the latesttttttt I would feel fine 24 hours later. Well we are now 30 hours into recovery and I still feel like I have been run over by a truck and that someone smashed in my face with a baseball bat. It's hard to really explain what it feels like unless you've experienced these symptoms. And the good news is that the tilt table test was able to reproduce the episodes I've been experiencing, but the unfortunate part was in order for that to happen, I had to endure another episode and am now dealing with the recovery process.

I saw my cardiologist this morning, and he has put me on a beta blocker twice a day. I'll start it tomorrow night once I have safely landed in California. The doctor says that I should start to feel better in 3 or 4 days. That is an amazing thought and I really hope he's right! But basically, the results of yesterday's test show that I do indeed have POTS and it is an autonomic nervous response (meaning we can't cure it, we can only treat the symptoms). Additionally, my test results show that at this point in time I should be standing for no longer than 15 minutes at a time (and that is the absolute max!). When I think about what that means for my life I feel overwhelmed. This means no grocery shopping (or only very quick trips), no parking far away, no walks, no working out, no standing in lines, no shopping, no teaching, and no standing anytime soon. I'm hoping my adrenaline will kick in on the wedding day so that none of this is an issue, but we'll have a back up plan in case it is.

But the bottom line is that I haven't been crazy. I haven't been making this up. And it wasn't just CFS. My CFS was being caused by POTS. I'm so glad I didn't just settle with my doctors, I listened to my gut instinct that was telling me it was something more than CFS. Now we have some answers that will actually allow me to treat my body and help it heal.

13 days until the GRIKI wedding. 24 hours until California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...