January 28, 2012

There's No Place Like Home...

I know the blog posts have been lacking lately...but to say things have been hectic around here would be an understatement.

Last Friday Grant had surgery on his left foot to try and correct the nerve damage caused by his time in the Army. We had to get up at 4:30 am to be in Nashville by 6:00 am. His surgery was at 8:00 am and they actually started the surgery at 8:50 am. I was way WAY more nervous than he was. I'm used to being the patient. I know what it's like to lie in a hospital bed, get an IV, and talk to the doctors about what's going on with my body. I am NOT used to sitting in the waiting room while he goes through it. So Mom and Dad...thank you for all the time you spent waiting during my operations...I now know how incredibly awful that must have been. But thankfully, the surgeon said the surgery went as well as it could have gone; although things were a little more complicated inside Grant's foot than originally anticipated.

After I spoke with the surgeon, I thought it would be another 10 minutes until a nurse would come get me to see Grant. However, 45 minutes later, when no one had come to get me, I started to get a little worried (well actually I just got MORE worried). Just then, a wonderful nurse came out to apologize for not coming to get me sooner...apparently they had trouble waking Grant up...he just wanted to keep sleeping! Being with Grant after surgery was nothing short of hysterical...we had the same conversation 4, 5, 6, or even 7 times...and he called me Mom once because I was taking such good care of him...he caught himself at Ma and apologized profusely assuring me that he knew I was his wife and not his mother.

The first few days after surgery involved very little sleep for me and lots of painkillers for Grant. He's been a trooper and today is the first day he is finally feeling a little better. I am very relieved that he seems to be on the upswing although it will be another 4-5 weeks before he can walk again and another 4-6 months before we know if the surgery worked. We are very very tired around here and I am looking forward to Grant doing the dishes again.

Today was the Founder's Day Brunch in Nashville...it was very weird not to be celebrating in San Francisco with Allison...thankfully she arrives Friday afternoon for a much needed kite weekend! :)

But more than anything...we've been very tired around here and missing home...specifically having our moms take care of us and cook meals for us :) There's no place like home...and California will always be our real home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...