October 14, 2012

Day 14: Ask Me Why I Park Here.



When I was in high school I had a temporary handicap-parking pass after my knee surgeries.  I had the pass for 6 months as my knees healed.  It was completely legitimate, but one day at school one of the cafeteria ladies came out and started SCREAMING at me that she was going to report me to the police because I was illegally using a handicap-parking pass.  Obviously nothing happened because she was just a crazy lady.

However, every time Grant suggests I ask my doctor for one, I think back to that day and how ridiculous it was.  I still don't have a handicap-parking permit, but at some point, my symptoms may require me to have one.  

Having an invisible illness means that people cannot see what is wrong with you (I know, pretty self-explanatory).  But it also means that people make assumptions about what you should be able to do based on how sick you really look.  For many people with POTS, a handicap-parking permit may be needed so that they can go run errands on days when they are struggling with their illness.

If you see someone with a handicap-parking permit and you can’t immediately see why they need one, take a minute to think about the infinite possibilities for why someone might have to have one.  Also remember that there is a whole system set up for assigning someone with this kind of permit and it is not your job to regulate the system.

And if you’re really still bothered by it, just ask.



Disclaimer: While I am sharing information I have researched, read about, and found to be helpful myself, I am not a doctor and all decisions regarding your own personal treatment should be discussed with your own doctors.  Remember, I am just a patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...