October 22, 2012

Day 22: Change of Plans

Grant and I both planners.  We were planning out our future together on date 3.  I like knowing what we want out of life and how we plan to get there.  But with POTS, we’ve had to become a lot more flexible with these plans.  The long term plans have stayed the same.  But our day to day plans often change by the hour.

Sometimes, I have to cancel.  I hate being THAT girl cancelling plans.  But I would rather be THAT girl cancelling plans than THAT girl passing out at the mall because she didn’t cancel her plans.  Sometimes it means sleeping through boot camp because I was up all night.  Sometimes it means rescheduling dinner plans because I just don’t have the energy to go out.

I’ve gotten a lot better about not over-extending myself so I have to cancel less and less.  I like to think I now have a better understanding of how much energy is going to be required to complete a task.  I only have so much energy to give.  With POTS, I go from functioning to literally being so tired I can’t get out of bed.  There’s not really a fine line, and if there is, it’s made out of clear fishing line.

But let’s be clear, I don’t ever cancel because I want to, I cancel because I have to.

How do you handle making plans with POTS?

Disclaimer: While I am sharing information I have researched, read about, and found to be helpful myself, I am not a doctor and all decisions regarding your own personal treatment should be discussed with your own doctors.  Remember, I am just a patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...