October 25, 2012

Day 25: Keep Communicating- be clear, be constant.

I have a health problem.  POTS is most likely never going to go away.

I HAVE to tell the people I keep in my life about it.  Not because I want attention, but because I need them to know what to do if something happens.  Just like I have to tell people what I’m allergic to if I plan on sharing a meal with them.

Neither issue become a big deal if I manage it and let people know ahead of time. 

And then of course, there is the dreaded doctor who has never heard of POTS and is bold enough to google it while you're sitting in the room.  (We've all had this experience!)  And it's frustrating, and sometimes (most of the time) I want to punch that doctor in the face.  But I ammmmm glad that he's learning about POTS.  And I have no problem explaining it to him.  And I'm even happier when he reads about POTS and then refers me to a doctor who has actually treated it before.

But that's how life with POTS go.  We have to keep communicating, so that someday, all doctors know about POTS and it is not something our friends have to worry about.

How do you keep communicating?

Disclaimer: While I am sharing information I have researched, read about, and found to be helpful myself, I am not a doctor and all decisions regarding your own personal treatment should be discussed with your own doctors.  Remember, I am just a patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...