October 26, 2012

Day 26: You Know You Have POTS When...

I’ve written several posts about Jodi Epstein Rhum’s book POTS-Together We Stand: Riding the Waves of Dysautonomia.  

POTS - Together We Stand: Riding the Waves of Dysautonomia

You can check out a couple of my posts here and here.  

If you don’t have it, order it right now. One of my favorite sections of her book is entitled “You Know You Have POTS when…”  There’s something comforting in knowing that there is a whole group of people who understand this list with me.

Here is my top 10 list from her book:

1. Your blood actually obeys the laws of gravity.

2. You can use your hands (or feet) for your very own personal ice pack.

3. You know more about your condition than most medical doctors you see.   
You often have to explain it to them.

4. You are the youngest person at your cardiologist’s officer 
and yet you seem to be breathing the hardest.

5. You are the healthiest looking sick person. 
You are an oxymoron.

6. You have to cancel more plans than a politician makes promises.

7. You have seen every type of doctor whose names ends in “ologist”.

8. You are incredibly strong 
but often cannot open up your own water bottle.

9. Your body can gauge the weather 
more accurately than the meteorologist.

10. You can sit with the old men at the back of the church/temple
 and discuss beta-blockers and chest pains.

Check out her book to see the complete list!

How do you know you have POTS?

Disclaimer: While I am sharing information I have researched, read about, and found to be helpful myself, I am not a doctor and all decisions regarding your own personal treatment should be discussed with your own doctors.  Remember, I am just a patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...