October 7, 2012

Day 7: I Heart Saline.

If any of you 'like' Dysautonomia International on facebook, you may have seen the link they posted Sunday night to their merchandise.   

I love their “I <3 Saline” product line. 



(I’m also a HUGE fan of the “I’m so tachy” line…”)


People with POTS must love saline.  It’s a requirement.  In order for our blood pressure to stay elevated enough for us to remain upright, we need more salt in our diet. Some days, getting enough calories is hard enough, but now I have to add more salt.  Thankfully, I love sushi.  It’s where Grant and I had our first date.  And our relationship wouldn’t have lasted long if he too didn’t love sushi!  So soy sauce is my go-to sodium fix.

Since I’ve started going to Boot Camp and working out a lot more, Gatorade has become more of a staple.  Gatorade was a hard one for me to add because of the sugar content and I really just prefer water over everything else.  But I have found Gatorades with less sugar, and it is the key to me making it through each work out.  My cardiologist says that the problem for people with POTS is that by the time we start to feel like we need a sip of Gatorade, we’re already dangerously close to passing out.  So maybe a few sips a day will keep the doctor away?

Soy sauce and Gatorade are my two salty add-ins…what do you find helpful to counteract your POTS?

Disclaimer: While I am sharing information I have researched, read about, and found to be helpful myself, I am not a doctor and all decisions regarding your own personal treatment should be discussed with your own doctors.  Remember, I am just a patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...