November 3, 2012

Day 3: A Conversation with my Doctor

describe the image


WEGO Health is providing the pompts and I'll be writing the posts.  The entire month of November I will be blogging with WEGO Health to continue to spread awareness about POTS.

Day 3: A Conversation with my Doctor

I've had lots of conversations with my doctor.  But one conversation with a person on my medical team changed my life.  You can read about that conversation here and here.

However, not all of my conversations are quite so profound.  Most involve meeting new doctors and encouraging them to read about POTS after I'm done giving them my brief (REALLY long) summary.

And I've had plenty of frustrating conversations.  You know the conversations where the doctors tell you you're making it up, or that they can't help you, or they even give you REALLY BAD medical advice.  But I choose not to dwell on those because worrying about other peoples' limitations does me absolutely no good at all.

I think the conversations we should be focusing are those where we spread awareness.  For example,  the other day I received an email from my Grandpa telling me that at his last doctor's appointment, he brought a printed copy of one of my blog posts to share with his doctor: "At the end of my appointment I asked him if he knew anything about POTS.  He admitted that he didn’t know much.  I told him about your story and a quick review of your experience.  He said he had one patient that he thought had POTS.  He was planning on reading up on it.  I had made a copy of your story and offered him the 5 pp. you had written.  (I had removed the personal family stuff at the end.)  He said he would definitely read it and appeared to be very pleased to get it.  I told him I thought it would make a good medical journal article and that he might want to share it with other doctors.  He said he would consider all of that.  I was so proud of you!!"  How cool is my Grandpa?

How are you spreading awareness?

Disclaimer: While I am sharing information I have researched, read about, and found to be helpful myself, I am not a doctor and all decisions regarding your own personal treatment should be discussed with your own doctors.  Remember, I am just a patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...