December 12, 2012

Our Love Story.

2 and a half years ago today, Grant and I sat in front of my house talking until 4:45 am.  After that conversation, the rest is history.  Here's our story.

Grant was the cute athletic guy in high school.  It felt like every girl in our grade had a crush on him.  We had a few classes together; but all the time I spent with him socially was because he spent our senior year dating my sister's best friend.  We both went off to college and each time he was home on break we seemed to drive past each other.  We'd text and say that we should grab coffee and catch up--but we never made it actually happened.

Memorial Day Weekend 2010, the family headed up to Lake Tahoe along with Allison, Heather, and Arjun.  It took Allison and I approximately 4 and a half hours instead of the usual 3.  But we had a 90's playlist that we rocked out to the entire way up.  Picture traffic dead stopped on 80 right around Davis and Allison and I with the windows down rocking out to Willa Ford.  Yep, it was one of my most favorite car rides.  After FINALLY making to to the cabin, we quickly grabbed drinks and started relaxing when I looked at my phone and had a text from Grant.  He said he had just graduated and was home from school and did I want to grab lunch so we could finally catch up.

 

About a week later we decided to grab sushi and as I was walking out the door, Caroline said I should date him.  Not really on my radar, we were just two friends catching up for lunch.  But after a five hour sushi date on June 10, 2010, I should have known she was right.

The next couple of days were a whirlwind.  The next day we sat together at Kayt and Gordon's high school graduation (we didn't even introduce our families...) and after family dinners we went out to Va Da Vi where we tasted too much wine.  We walked around Broadway Plaza for hours and after driving around for a few more hours, he took me back home.

Saturday the 12th we decided to go for another drive that night.  But the problem is that I have a REALLY small bladder.  So after driving around for a while, we ended up back at his house so I could use the bathroom.  I met his mom, she showed me photo albums, and Grant and I talked for hours.  When he finally took me home, we sat in the car in front of my house talking until 4:45 am.  I knew it was late when the front porch light went off and my phone rang.  It was Dad and as I looked up I could see him standing in the kitchen window.  Cue mortification.  He was reminding me that I had my Masters graduation the next day and that it was pretty late.  Grant and I wrapped things up and he finally kissed me.

The next morning my mom asked it we were engaged yet.  She was the first one that saw where this was headed.  Grant came to my graduation party and all my friends from high school had a lot of questions about what was going on...


He left the next morning for a month in Europe.  He surprised me and came home two weeks early because he missed me.  A month later he moved to Georgia for training at Fort Benning.

I spent the next year taking sick days on a few lots of Fridays and taking red eyes on Thursdays and Sundays to see him.  We got used to me sobbing my way through the Atlanta airport and lots of text messages and phone calls.

March 10, 2011 Grant showed up in ACUs in my classroom at the high school where we met with a little blue box asking me to marry him. You can read about that here.


If you've been reading this blog, you know the rest: move to TN, get married, do the Army thing.

And now we're starting the next chapter of our life getting ready for Grant to leave the Army and for us to move back to California.


I can't believe it's already been two and a half years since that conversation in the car where we starting making our life plans together.  Our love story really is my favorite.  Not that I'm biased or anything. All I know is that I'm definitely a very lucky lady.

Since the first year of our relationship was spent flying back and forth across the country, most of the people invited to our wedding had never spent time with both of us together.  I wanted our save the date to be a way for people to get to know us and it pretty much tells our whole story.  Allison and I spent hours creating the save the date; and it is still one of my favorite things from our wedding.

5 comments:

  1. The save the date is adorable!! And what a sweet story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww love it!!

    Can we go to Tahoe again soon!?! We can bring Grant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a sweet story!

    and totally off topic but were you a theta? It caught my eye on your sweatshirt, I have many many KAΘ items!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How SWEET! I love that Save the Date!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...