January 31, 2013

Rihanna and Chris Brown are Back Together.

I heard on the news this morning that
Rihanna and Chris Brown are *officially* back together.

I know that everyone makes different choices.  

Maybe Rihanna really can get past the whole my boyfriend beat me up thing.

For the record, I don't think she'll every get past something like that.  

I think that every time they fight, she'll always wonder if he's going to hit her again.

But more than anything I wonder how she'll explain it to their future children.
Not to mention what kind of example it sets for all their fans.

How do you explain that one time daddy beat the crap out of mommy?

And the entire world saw her pain, felt her pain,
and pleaded with her to make a better choice.  

How do you teach your son that it's not ok to ever lay a hand on a woman? 
When daddy did that to mommy.

And how do you teach your daughter that no one should ever
touch her or speak to her like that? 
When mommy went back to daddy after he did that to her.

 How do you teach your children to be good people when their father isn't one?

And as I think about all of this, I remember a shocking statistic I learned in college. 
That it takes a woman (on average) 7 times to leave her abuser before she leaves for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...