December 8, 2013

She's here!

Marilyn Elizebeth Frazier 
arrived Tuesday November 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm 
weighing 8 pounds, 8 ounces measuring 19 inches long.


Our little muchkin was due to arrive Friday November 15th.  The entire pregnancy I felt like she was going to come early--probably because I arrived 3 weeks early.  But she took her sweet time and at my last doctor's appointment on the 13th, we decided to schedule an induction for the night of 18th. 

I woke up Sunday the 17th with irregular contractions and even with walks all day, the contractions never stuck around consistently.  Monday Grant was able to work from home since the contractions were still showing up every so often.  We were scheduled to arrive at the hospital for the induction at 8:00pm but by 3:30 the contractions were getting more and more consistent and by 4:30pm we were checked in and settled into our labor and delivery room at John Muir.

I was feeling the contractions and overwhelmed with all the unknowns about how POTS would impact my labor and delivery experience.  The nurses and doctor on call reviewed my file and birth plan again, and even called my cardiologist to make sure everyone was on the same page.  IV fluids were started immediately to make sure that I was well hydrated to help manage the POTS proactively.  The anesthesiologist came in to discuss my POTS since everyone on my medical team was in agreement that an epidural was going to be the best way to manage my POTS.  She left to go check the CBC they did when they admitted me and the nurse returned to let us know that my platelet levels were really low---low enough that some anesthesiologists won't give an epidural.  Thankfully, my anesthesiologist was willing to run another blood test to see how the platelets I did have were functioning. The results of that test would be the determining factor.  After a very stressful hour of waiting for results (we didn't have a plan B!), the nurse and anesthesiologist came back and said the results were good and we could go ahead with the epidural.  The epidural went in and I started feeling much more comfortable.  Grant and I decided to go ahead and try and get some sleep.  At midnight the doctor on call came to check and I was still at 3 cm...so we started a slow dose of pitocin.  Grant was able to sleep a little bit, I was up all night listening to playlists from when I used to fly back and forth to Georgia on the red-eyes...

The nurse checked me again the morning of the 19th and I was at 3.5 cm.  The new doctor on call came in and thankfully decided to break my water and up my dose of pitocin even more.  She was hopeful that by noon I would be at 5 cm.  We were anxious all morning, praying that my body would make progress so we could avoid a c-section.  My cardiologist stopped by to check in and was pleased with how my body was responding to everything so far.  Around 11:30 am I started to have pain on the right side of my lower abdomen and it felt like my epidural wasn't working in one specific spot.  The anesthesiologist came back and gave me a booster shot to increase my dosage slightly.  It helped a little bit, but shortly there after, the pain was back.  The nurse decided to check again and I was finally fully dilated!  We spent the next three hours waiting for baby to naturally drop on her own so that I could try and get some rest because by this point, I could barely keep my eyes open.  At 3:30 pm I finally started pushing.  Two hours later, Marilyn Elizebeth arrived at 5:33 pm! 25 hours after we arrived in labor at the hospital...about 55 hours after contractions started Sunday morning.

The biggest surprise of all was that I had absolutely no POTS issues the entire time.  The major concerns were with my heart rate during the initial implementation of the epidural and the pushing--but throughout both my heart rate and blood pressure stayed completely stable.  While my body was completely exhausted, and the recovery was brutal, the actual labor and delivery were pain free and we are so relieved that Marley is finally here and healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to all three of you!!! So glad to hear Marley's arrival was free from POTS complications and that you're both healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Next post = how she got her name! You three are rock stars and when you are all feeling up to it we should have a coffee date!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...